If you ever lunch at our place, chances are that you will eat this scrummy bread; I bake two batches a week. It is quite dark, and fairly heavy, with a wholesome flavour all of its own (Unlike tasteless white bread). The recipe makes two large loaves or three small. I recommend you go for the small, since the bread is rather filling.
First collect all your ingredients. You will need 6 ½ cups of flour, a decent dash of salt, and 2 very heaped tsps of baking soda. If you want, you can throw in a big handful of seeds with these items. For your wets, or liquid ingredients, you will need 2 eggs, ½ cup of oil, and 1 ½ cups of water.
Take out a big bowl, and mix the dries in. Be sure you remember to sift the baking soda. When they are combined, use your wooden spoon to make a well, or hole, down the middle.
In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs well. Add the oil, treacle and water, whisking again after each addition until completely blended; it should look like a uniform mixture, not separate parts.
Make sure your water isn’t too warm- once I used hot water, and almost poached the egg! I stirred pretty hard when I realised what the white strings were…
Now tip the wets into the well and, working quickly, stir them in. You may need to use your hands, and you will need to add more water. Aim for a firm, slightly springy texture; you should be able to separate the mixture into lumps, and lift the lumps up without anything oozing between your fingers.
Grease your loaf tins with oil. We use two average size ones and one small. One is made of glass, and the loaf only sticks to it, but it sure sticks tight. After months of leaving the bottom of the tin lined with the base of my bread, I found a solution. Now I always sprinkle a thick layer of crumbs over the oiled base, and that stubborn pan has to give up its hold.
Put the bread in the center of the oven, and cook for about an hour at 180oC. Check the loaves by poking them with a fork, if it comes out clean, take the bread out and knock on it. If it sounds hollow, your bread is done! Wait five minutes, turn it out onto a cooling rack, and treat yourself to a steamy hot slice with butter and jam.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Why do all of you say white bread is tasteless?!?! It most certainly is not! That said this bread does sound interesting. Might give it a try sometime.
I didn't think anyone actually would try to make it. white bread IS tasteless after you eat this.
I'm curious; I might make it. Perhaps you could organise a bread-making day...if it involves food, they will come!
White bread isn't absolutely tasteless. But I did think that bread was very nice when we went to your place. I'll probably try it but I'll adapt if for our automatic breadmaker. :)
I don't think we had that bread when you came to our place? someone else brought some very dark bread, but I don't know who.
Post a Comment